Chiropractic Care Can Alleviate Herniated Disc Symptoms
A herniated or ruptured disc does not always cause neck or back pain, but when it does, the pain can be disabling. If you suspect you have this common spine-related condition, our Scottsdale chiropractor at Secrest Family Chiropractic can help. We see a lot of patients who prefer the drug-free techniques and therapies that we provide for herniated disc symptoms.
What is a Herniated Disc?
There is a soft, cushiony cartilage called an intervertebral disc located between the stack of backbones. The discs act as shock absorbers to protect the spine from injury. A herniated slipped or ruptured disc refers to a damaged disc that pushes out from between the bones. The damage more often occurs in the cervical (neck) or the lumbar (lower) spine. In some cases, the gel-like material inside the disc leaks out and presses on the nerve, causing inflammation and pain.
What Causes A Slipped Disc?
Adults over age thirty are more likely to experience disc pain from a torn or cracked disc. The disc becomes weak over time as a result of aging and repetitive use of the spine. The weakened disc can easily rupture from pressure on the spine due to the following:
- Being overweight
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Disc degeneration
- Vertebral misalignment
- Neck, back, or spine injury from an accident
- Back strain from a sudden twist or lifting the wrong way
Typical Ruptured Disc Symptoms
A slipped disc tends to cause dull, sharp, or excruciating neck or lower back pain and stiffness. The pain may travel from the neck to the shoulder and arm, or from the lower back to the hips, buttocks, and legs. Numbness or a pins-and-needle sensation may also occur if the disc touches a nerve.
How Our Scottsdale, AZ, Chiropractor Treats Herniated Disc
A physical exam, X-ray, CT scan, or MRI can help us to determine if you suffered a ruptured disc. We will then tailor an integrative wellness plan to alleviate the symptoms and restore function. A combination of the following chiropractic care methods usually provide lasting results:
- Spinal Adjustment: This is a non-invasive technique performed to realign the spinal joints and ease the pressure on the disc or nerve. By addressing the root cause of the problem, patients can experience lasting pain relief.
- Non-Surgical Spinal Decompression: Involves stretching the spine to allow the slipped disc to pull back into its natural position. Restoring the disc helps reduce pain and inflammation and facilitates healing.
- Soft Tissue Therapies: Massage therapy and laser therapy can reduce stiffness and help the body heal faster.
Manage Back Pain the Natural Way
Secrest Family Chiropractic has your back when it comes to disc-related pain. The treatment you receive can also prevent further disc damage, reduced mobility, and invasive disc surgery. Call 480-994-4411 to schedule your appointment with our Scottsdale, AZ, chiropractor.